I have been getting into canning and preserving food lately. It is quite a process but it’s much simpler than many may think. For this simple delicious raspberry jam recipe you can skip the whole canning process if you’re just making a batch for yourself and use it within a few weeks. If you’d like to make bigger batches to store away then you can watch this awesome video on How-to-Can. You can purchase a canning kit here.
The benefits of canning:
– Knowing your food is BPA-free as well as healthy, preservative-free and doesn’t contain any harmful additives or pesticides.
– The quality and taste is superior to any commercially canned product.
– When you buy produce in season it’s cheaper, making it an economical way to stock the pantry.
– When preserving, your produce can last unopened for over a year.
– There’s nothing like the feeling of learning how to live off the land.
– It’s eco-friendly because you re-use your jars reducing waste.
– They make wonderful gifts! Nothing says “I love you”, like something you took your time to make!
Photo’s by me
Raspberry Jam Recipe:
2 1/4 cups of raspberries
1 1/3 cups of sugar
Juice from 1/4 lemon
This jam recipe yields about two 4oz mason jars.
Rinse the raspberries and combine with sugar and lemon juice in a pot. Cook over medium high heat, stir periodically. As the jam cooks, remove any foam that collects on top with the help of a small skimmer. The jam is ready when it has thickened and any foam on top has gone. Keep in mind that it will thicken a bit more as it sets and cools. Check the set by placing a small amount of jam on a cold plate. Pour into your jars and seal.